The Junior Lesson Program at Muskego Lakes CC has been the most popular junior golf program in the Milwaukee area for most of its 43 years of existence. This program has received awards of excellence from the PGA of Wisconsin, Golf Foundation of Wisconsin and the National Golf Course Owners Association. This is due to many factors that include: constant changes based upon suggestions, limited class size, one and a half and two hour lessons (not ½ to one hour like most programs) one teacher per 14 students, hands on individual help at each lesson, parental involvement and lessons that include playing golf as part of the total learning experience.
Our Junior Lesson Program is open to children ages 6 to 17.
For those children new to the game, and between the ages of 6 & 8, we make available our five week "Pee Wee" program with a Tuesday morning class from 10:00 to 11:30.
For those that have been playing for a couple of years or are 8 years of age or older, we offer two separate programs on two separate days.
Thursdays are for Girls only, and we offer two classes for seven weeks. One class is for girls entering 7th through 12th grade in September 2018, and the other is for those entering 3rd through 6th grade.
On Tuesdays, we offer an eight-week program with three ability levels - Beginner, Intermediate or Advanced. Beginners and Intermediates partake in their lessons together and play golf following five of the eight lessons. Intermediates play five holes on the regulation course from the forward tees, while the Beginners play four holes on the regular course but from yardages of 60 to 130. To qualify for the Intermediate group, the child must be able to consistently hit the ball into the air and be able to play each of the five holes in 15 minutes or less within a foursome.
To qualify for the Advanced group, a child must average below 65 for nine holes on a regulation course from the red tees. They play nine holes on our regulation course for seven of the eight lessons. The present scoring ability of your child will be used to determine into which of the three groups your child is placed. All but the Pee Wee group will start the week of June 12th.
If you have a returning player to the program, the letter you’ve received indicates what class level your son/daughter has been assigned to for the upcoming season. Throughout the season, we can move a child from one ability level to another within the same lesson day, whether it is because of improvement or a misunderstanding of your child’s skills.
On the five days for Beginners and Intermediates or 6 days for the Advanced, when golf is scheduled after the lesson, the kids are placed in foursomes and some type of fun event will be run in which the kids have a chance to win prizes. This is where parental involvement begins. One time per season, we ask a parent to score-keep and monitor the pace of their child’s group. Getting on the course and learning to play golf from "tee-to-green" is one of the intangibles that separate the quality of our program from others in the area. Because we insist that our students actually play golf, we need your help to provide a scorekeeper for each group. We will NOT put any Beginner or Intermediate group on the course without an adult scorekeeper. You will be expected to sign-up for your scoring date on the application form. Scoring dates are awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis. In late May, we will post on our website a schedule of who is scorekeeping on what days.
CHANGES FOR 2018
- We have decided to increase the time for lessons from one hour to an hour and a half for the Beginners and Intermediates, and we have purchased many new teaching aids.
- The Advanced class will now play golf after each lesson except for the first week and their lessons will continue to be for an hour and a half.
- All classes will now be on Tuesday’s except for the NEW Girls only lessons on Thursdays.
- If your child misses a day we will have one make-up day for those that missed one or more lessons on Wednesday, August 1st at the same times as all other previous lessons.
- The flighted club championship will now be divided into Boys and Girls divisions.
- Pairings will be with friends as much as possible, and there will be some type of event each play day.
What is included:
- Eight golf lessons on Tuesdays, seven for the “Girls only” on Thursdays.
- Five, six or seven rounds of golf depending on the group
- Two or three instructors per class
- Flighted Championship Tournament (girls separate of guys & trophies for first and second place)
- OPTIONAL: Parent child golf tournament and Championship awards banquet. Fee includes prizes, soda, food and parents greens fee. Juniors play free! August 12, with 3pm shotgun start.
- If a child improves, we will move them up a classification if the instructors feel necessary.
Groups & Fees for 2018
TUESDAY (Boys and/or Girls) – June 12th thru August 7th (No Class July 3rd)
- Advanced: Includes 7 nine-hole rounds of golf and 8 golf lessons. Classes are on Tuesdays with a start time of 11:30am. $210.00 if you walk with your child and keep score on one or more play days. Cost if you request to opt-out of score-keeping duties: $260. Please check the website calendar each Sunday evening for exact starting and finishing times.
- Intermediates: Includes 5, five-hole rounds of golf on the regular course. Classes are with the beginners on Tuesdays with a start time of 1:00. $185.00 if you walk with your child and keep score on one or more play days. Cost if you request to opt-out of score-keeping duties: $235. Please check the website calendar each Sunday evening for exact starting and finishing times.
- Beginners: Includes 5, four-hole rounds of golf with shorter holes on the regular course. Classes are with the intermediate group on Tuesdays with a start time of 1:00. $160.00 if you walk with your child and keep score on one or more play days. Cost if you request to opt-out of score-keeping duties: $210. Please check the website calendar each Sunday evening for exact starting and finishing times.
- Pee Wee Class:
- For kids new to the game and between the ages of 6 and 8. Cost of $105.00 for five lessons.
- A five week course on Tuesday mornings from 9:30 to 11:00 starting the week of July 10th through August 7th.
- Pee Wees will have a real treat learning to play golf with a specially designed system for the beginner golfer. It is called "Snag Golf." It is very hard for a younger person to swing a metal club with a small clubface and accomplish much more than poor contact and ground balls. Snag Golf is a full system with training aids. We supply the clubs that have a plastic head that is four times larger than a regular club. The balls are a smaller version of a tennis ball. This makes for ease of contact and flight. This system will be shown to you at the REQUIRED MEETING for all new registrants.
THURSDAY (Girls Only) – June 14th thru Aug. 2nd (No Class July 5th)
- Get High School Golf Ready! (Girls Entering 7th thru 12th grade in Sept. 2018): A great opportunity for current high school players to prepare for the 2018 high school season, and for middle school girls to get a glimpse of what high school golf is all about! An interest in high school golf or being a current member of a high school team is NOT required. Includes 6 nine-hole rounds of golf and 7 golf lessons. Classes are on Thursdays with a start time of 12:00pm. The cost is $189.00 if you keep score on one or more play days, or $239.00 if you opt-out of scorekeeping duties. No walking scorers are required for 10th thru 12th graders.
Future High School Golfers (Girls Entering 3rd thru 6th grade in Sept. 2018): Includes 5, five-hole rounds of golf on the regular course from shortened distances and 7 golf lessons. Start time is 1:30. $168.00 if you walk with your child and keep score on one or more play days. Cost if you request to opt-out of score-keeping duties: $208.
NOTES – All Classes
- Parent scoring participation is an absolute necessity for the Muskego Lakes Country Club Junior Program to be successful. This is why we charge a higher price for those kids where the parent cannot score-keep. Your assistance with this important facet of our program is greatly appreciated. Failure to show on your scoring date will prevent a foursome of children from playing on that date. Please, you are responsible for obtaining a substitute scorer if you are unable to meet your obligation.
- Parents Meeting: Wednesday, May 9th or Thursday, May 17th at 6:30 PM. One time attendance is required for parents whose child is new to the program. Optional for parents of returning golfers who may have questions or concerns. The meeting will be held in the upper level banquet hall.
Rules to be Followed
- We ask that your child shows consideration and deposits trash into proper containers.
- No foul language.
- No club throwing or displays of anger.
- No cheating, you must follow the rules of golf and count all strokes and penalties.
- Only hit balls on the range once given permission. This helps avoid the danger of a child getting hit with a ball.
- Never go out on the range to pick up golf balls when someone else is hitting.
- Fix ball marks, rake sand traps and replace divots.
- Keep up to the group in front of you, 2 1/2 hours for nine holes is the maximum.
- Be ready to hit when it is your turn.
- When playing in the championship, both rounds must be played on any play day but within the designated two- week period.
Discipline will result if these rules are not followed. That discipline could include: not being allowed to hit balls during a lesson for some period of time, termination of your round of golf and/or suspension of playing privileges for a period of time. If a child continues to disrupt the program, we reserve the right to terminate their involvement without refund of payment.
PARENT CHILD TOURNAMENT & BANQUET with AWARDS PRESENTATION, SUNDAY 8/12.
All students will play the regular course. Beginners will play 4 holes while all other groups will play 9 holes with a shotgun start at 3:30pm. There is an additional charge for this event: Beginners w/parent or grandparent $42, intermediates $56 and advanced $56. These fees include: food, soda, prizes and the parents greens fee. The child plays FREE!. Application forms will be available in July. Current HS players should speak with their coach prior to signing up.